If you’ve never worn a bralette before, think “comfort” and “no underwire.” Sounds great already, doesn’t it? Often worn for fashion reasons (think coverage for plunging necklines or open backs) or just as light coverage, bralettes are the perfect piece of lingerie whether you’re lounging around on a weekend, or dressing up for a party Saturday night. Depending on fabric and style, there are a variety of options and occasions for wearing bralettes. However, if you’ve ever tried on a beautiful bralette in a store or online, you may have found that the fit just didn’t work. The truth is that many of the ready-to-wear, mass-produced bralettes on the market are less than perfect when it comes to fit — especially for someone who has either large or small bra cups.
This article is sponsored by Stitch Love Studio.
Using your sewing skills and a sewing pattern with a fit that works, bralettes can be made both easily and quickly. And depending on the fabric you choose to use and how inspired you are, you can create a bralette that perfectly fits your body, your personal style, and your fashion needs. In fact, making bralettes can be addictive so be prepared to not only want to make more for yourself, but also for friends or family who admire your new look!
In our experience, the versatile bralette comes in several types, each one with its own personality:
- So comfortable: The cozy thought of getting home after a long day, changing into a favorite loungewear, removing the underwire bra, and reaching out for the cotton, modal, bamboo, tencel or any other soft fabric bralette to complete the experience. Ready to breathe deeper and sip on a warm cup of tea.
- I’m cool: Made out of unusual materials, usually velvet or even shiny foil prints. These are all different options that will serve as a layering piece, like wearing it under a jacket.
- Romantic or fanciful: Lace, lace and lace! Also can be combined with stretch meshes or shiny, sparkly fabrics.
- Problem solver: Tops, dresses or jumpsuits with a low back neck or sheer tops. These are all pieces that can layer on top of a nice lacey, or cool bralette. Any fashion stylist will agree!
- Moody: It’s all about the prints — tropical pineapple prints, cozy strawberry prints, funky bat prints, cute macaroon prints, superhero prints, dots, stripes, neon colors, pastel colors… you name it, they will all find the right fit.
The best news is that one pattern can create all of these styles with a simple change of fabric. And we guarantee you will feel ahh-mazing knowing that you created it to fit just for you and your current mood!
See our article on bralette sewing tips from Stitch Love Studio.
Stitch Love Studio’s “Daisy” bralette pattern
The Daisy pattern is a cute, comfy, easy to make and easy to wear lingerie piece. The long line bralette features adjustable straps and lined seamed cups. Daisy was carefully designed to be versatile and provide you with subtle support while lounging, playing, sleeping, traveling or just going out.
Instructions include variations for a lengthened version for a bustier style, or can be converted to a one-piece back for more comfort. If using a lower stretch fabric, follow the variation with hook and eye. Use a cotton or bamboo spandex blend knit fabric for a cute look, lace with a stretch mesh for a romantic style, or stretch velvet to wear under a low cut tee or jacket. Create endless combinations… Have fun!
The “Daisy” is available in a downloadable, easy to use, PDF chock full of easy to follow instructions, accompanied by colorful clear photos for every step, to guide you along in your bralette journey. Available in sizes ranging from XS-3XL.
COUPON CODE: As a proud sponsor of National Sewing Month Sept 2021, www.StitchLoveStudio.com is offering 20% off their entire line of Stitch Love Studio brand downloadable PDF patterns. Use coupon code NSM2021 at checkout, valid through December 31, 2021.